Thread: Post office rules -- stamping on envelopes

Post office rules -- stamping on envelopes

I received this from a customer today. Anyone have any experience with this?

Deb,

Sometime will you check with your post office to see if they have a problem with us stamping on the front of our card envelopes? (Don't make a special trip or anything) Nancy called me today and told me that our postmistress says that if we stamp on our envelopes it has to be in the return address area because the bottom of the envelope has to be reserved for the post office use with numbers etc.
    Visit the Heartfelt Inkspiration blog

I can't answer it but it wouldn't surprise me if this was true.

They are getting so darn picky! Then they wonder why no one wants to use them!
    Shelley
    "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength." Phil 4:13

I can't see how stamping an envelope would be an issue because they become part of the paper. But it would need to be light enough that their bar code shows up on it. Think about it, you can mail an envelope made of DSP so how is that different?
    Paula - Or Palua to my SA Sistahs!
    My Blog
    "I believe that everything happens for a reason. People change so that you can learn to let go, things go wrong so that you appreciate them when they're right . . . and sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together."— Marilyn Monroe

Quote Originally Posted by Packer Fan View Post
    They are getting so darn picky! Then they wonder why no one wants to use them!
    Zackly!! I've been saying this for awile! A few years ago the PO was selling envelopes that looked like they were made of dsp. Really bright and bold colors for birthdays etc. I've seen before where they've put stickers on things with all their codes at the bottom of stuff, but wouldn't surprise me if they were getting that picky about it. I sure hope not.
    Deb
    Sha'alu Shalom Yerushalayim ~ Pray for the Peace of Jerusalem
    Prayers and Blessings for all our troops, and their families!!
    Debadoo is Addict #42 (and I love that it rhymes). lol

The machine that reads the adress sorts 1 envelope every second, or more. Envelopes with a pattern on them can get kicked out as unreadable. A person then needs to sort those by hand. More cost for the PO. My PO sugested I stamp on the back side of the envelope as the person turns it over to open it. Envelopes with an all over pattern, for some reason, don't trigger that machine to think they are unreadable. That's my 2 cents from my PO. Now the next person I talk to there, could tell me a totally different thing. sigh

Thanks for the info, Kim. I am going to try to remember to ask my PO next time. They are the pickiest postal people ever! Not that I am bitter or
    anything.

Wow, Kim, that is very interesting. Reckin there really IS a method to their madness. That's really odd, but who can tell what a machine "thinks" about anything. hehehe Lisa.
    Deb
    Sha'alu Shalom Yerushalayim ~ Pray for the Peace of Jerusalem
    Prayers and Blessings for all our troops, and their families!!
    Debadoo is Addict #42 (and I love that it rhymes). lol

I'm just glad the all-over pattern is ok. I am having fun - and using up a ton of retired dsp - making my own envelopes!
    Adriana B. (SA# 173)
    My Blog

"She is clothed in strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come." Proverbs 31:25
    Oh, how I would love to be this lady... 😊

I think I'll show this at stamp night tomorrow. Great way to use up so much retired paper.

Watercolor Wizard Stampin'Shell's Avatar
    My post office gave me such a hard time about this, that I only stamp on the back now.

Watercolor Wizard MickeyRoberts's Avatar
    Wow! Thanks for the info. I had no idea about stamping on front vs stamping on back. I guess I need to rethink my stamped envelopes...
    Mickey Roberts
    Visit my blog: Paper Conversation

sorta a side-track, but related to post office issues: does anyone know how long it takes to receive stamps and stuff ordered through usps?
    Adriana B. (SA# 173)
    My Blog

"She is clothed in strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come." Proverbs 31:25
    Oh, how I would love to be this lady... 😊